These 5 common mistakes get in the way of real results.
1. Not eating before your workout or eating too soon before your workout. Even if you workout first thing in the morning, try to get up a half hour earlier so you can have a small breakfast. A banana, a shake, a small piece of toast and almond butter will help fuel your workout after a night’s fasting. However, you don’t want to eat too much prior to your workout, it could leave to stomach upset and feeling lethargic.
2. Over Cardio-ing. Yup, that’s a thing. Well, we made up the phrase. In all seriousness, it’s important to remember that muscles burn more calories than fat. Strength training is just as important as cardio, if not more so. Plus, a good HIIT workout will deliver cardio while you improve your muscle tone. Win-win!
3. Working out when you just can’t. Fighting the flu? Exhausted after a week of sleepless nights? Sometimes the best thing for your body is rest. If you really can’t rouse yourself and feel rotten, skip the workout. Depleting an already depleted body of reserves won’t get you ahead.
4. Treating Yo-Self Too Often. We all love treats, but don’t equate a workout with one. The calories you burn and the muscles you strengthen don’t = an ice cream sundae every night. Treat yourself occasionally, because…. it’s supposed to be a treat. Need some healthy recipes? Hop on over to our blogor to our nutritionist’s page for some tips.
5. Not knowing your form. Doing the same exercise over and over incorrectly is counterintuitive to the whole point of working out and can lead to injury in both the short and long term. Enlist a pro to make sure your form is right.